Competencies and objectives
- Course context for academic year 2022-23
- Course content (verified by ANECA in official undergraduate and Master’s degrees)
- Learning outcomes (Training objectives)
- Specific objectives stated by the academic staff for academic year 2022-23
Course context for academic year 2022-23
Economic History is a training course that also provides an additional and necessary dimension to the lessons that the future economist receives, such as: the long-term vision, the emphasis on processes of technological change and structural change, and the consideration of all those institutional, political and social aspects that condition the changing and evolutionary structure of the economy. The long-term study of economic evolution should allow the future economist to acquire the historical perspective of the differences that persist today in per capita incomes between countries and thus reflect on the causes of growth and development. The importance of the subject lies in the fact that our conception of what happened determines our way of seeing the present. Economic History is a bridge between History and Economy; and the collaboration between these two disciplines is especially fruitful and enriching as each one contributes its own theoretical and methodological conception. Therefore, given the nature of this subject, it is interrelated with the rest of the Departments that teach in the Economics Degree.
Course content (verified by ANECA in official undergraduate and Master’s degrees)
General Competences (CG)
- CG1 : Capacity to find and analyse information.
- CG3 : Capacity for self-learning.
- CG6 : Obtain important information from the data that is impossible for non-professionals to recognise.
- CG8 : Analyse problems using critical reasoning, without prejudices, precisely and rigorously.
- CG9 : Capacity for synthesis.
General Competences acquired at University of Alicante (CGUA)
- CGUA3 : Capacity for oral and written communication.
Specific Competences (CE)
- CE1 : Contribute towards the correct management of resource allocation in both the private and public context.
- CE10 : Capacity to apply the knowledge and skills acquired to solve theoretical and applied economic problems.
- CE12 : Be able to use the appropriate tools for the analysis, diagnosis and solution of economic questions and problems.
- CE2 : Identify and anticipate relevant economic problems relating to resource allocation in general, in both the private and public context.
- CE3 : Bring a rational approach to the analysis and description of any aspect of economic reality.
- CE4 : Evaluate the consequences of different options for action and select the best one according to the objectives set.
- CE8 : Identify the sources of relevant economic information and their content.
Learning outcomes (Training objectives)
- To develop the ability to extract relevant information from the data available in order to analyse historical-economic phenomena.
- To understand and analyse specific events in the international, national and regional economy, together with the sectors involved and their historical development.
- To identify the sources and content of relevant historical-economic information.
- To understand the origin, development and operation of economic institutions.
- To understand the complexity and regional diversity of economic phenomena.
- To understand how the economy operates at an aggregate level and how it is affected by economic policies and institutions.
- To understand the factors determining economic growth and regional inequalities.
- To understand the possible causes of economic cycles and the effects of economic policy.
- To understand the national, European and international economic environment, productive sectors and how economic institutions operate.
- To understand the origin of economic problems.
- To understand the interaction of economic and non-economic factors throughout history and how the different trends of modern economic thoughts evolved.
- To understand the nature of international commerce and the financial context in which it has developed.
Specific objectives stated by the academic staff for academic year 2022-23
1. Analyze and synthesize economic events and their historical development, as well as understand the importance of past economic events and their impact on subsequent historical events.
2. Basically understand the process of birth and transformation of the main economic institutions throughout history.
3. Distinguish the determining factors and forces that have driven or slowed economic development in the long term.
4. Analyze and distinguish the unequal consequences that international economic relations have on the histotic process for different countries.
5. Critically analyze the economic policies applied at specific historical moments, through the evaluation of their objectives, measures, instruments and results achieved, as well as their consequences on society as a whole.
6. To develop the capacity of oral and written exposition on the economic facts and / or historical problems.
7. Identify, manage and analyze with criteria, documentary, bibliographic and statistical sources and apply them to historical processes.
8. Develop the ability of group work, by assigning functions within a team. Understand that teamwork is a direct responsibility for the group dynamics and its results.