Competencies and objectives
- Course context for academic year 2022-23
- Course content (verified by ANECA in official undergraduate and Master’s degrees)
- Learning outcomes (Training objectives)
- Specific objectives stated by the academic staff for academic year 2022-23
Course context for academic year 2022-23
Introduction to the Geography of Tourism is a general and introductory subject about the relationship between the territory, society and the tourist activities. In this subject, we are going to analyse the key factors that operate in the territory in order to create tourist development processes.
As an introduction for future geography-based subjects, Introduction to the Geography of Tourism gives general and basic information in terms of vocabulary, sources of information, methods of analysis or information technologies.
This subject is related to other geographical subjects as Tipología de Espacios Turísticos, Recursos Territoriales Turísticos or Actividades Turísticas en el medio rural that will be held on the next courses of the studies of Tourism.
Course content (verified by ANECA in official undergraduate and Master’s degrees)
General Competences acquired at University of Alicante (CGUA)
- CGUA4 : Be able to commit oneself ethically with sustainability, fundamental rights, equality of men and women, the principles of equal opportunity and universal accessibility for the disabled, as well as the values of a peaceful, democratic culture.
Specific Competences (CE)
- CE1 : Understand the principles of tourism: its spatial, social, cultural, legal, political, labour and economic dimension.
- CE18 : Identify and manage tourist areas and destinations.
- CE19 : Manage tourist areas in accordance with sustainability criteria.
- CE23 : Analyse the impacts generated by tourism.
- CE3 : Understand the dynamic and evolutionary nature of tourism in the new leisure society.
- CE32 : Detect technical planning needs for tourist infrastructures and facilities.
- CE5 : Convert and empirical problem into an object of research and draw conclusions.
- CE8 : Evaluate tourist potential and the prospective analysis of exploiting it.
Learning outcomes (Training objectives)
Specific objectives stated by the academic staff for academic year 2022-23
• Understanding the influence of the elements of the geographical environment, and in particular, the importance of tourism resources in the development of tourism.
• Analysing international tourist flows and major destinations worldwide as well as the factors that have influenced its development and major trends in the short and medium term.
• Understanding the different dimensions of tourism and their interrelationships.
• Learn recent trends and dynamics of tourism in the context of globalization and sustainability.
• Explain the location factors tourism activities.
• Knowing the geographical, social, economic, political, cultural particularities of tourism resources and destinations.
• Understand the interrelationships of tourism with environmental processes that interact at local, regional and global scale, with particular attention to the effects of climate change and biodiversity loss.
• Explaining the global tourism systems and concrete tourist destinations through the analysis on different territorial scales.
• Identify and describe the attractions of an area or region and the different types of tourism.
• Locate and describe the major tourist regions.
• Manage different sources of information for analyzing tourism. Analyzing data of economic, sociocultural and territorial environment at different scales to interpret their influence in tourist destinations.
• Develop critical thinking skills about the processes of tourism development in relation to the principles of social and environmental ethics.
• Demonstrate interest in the knowledge of the reality and evolution of tourist areas.