Competencies and objectives
- Course context for academic year 2022-23
- Course content (verified by ANECA in official undergraduate and Master’s degrees)
- Learning outcomes (Training objectives)
- Specific objectives stated by the academic staff for academic year 2022-23
Course context for academic year 2022-23
Psychology applied to the Sciences of physical activity and sports consists in the scientific study of people and their behavior in the context of sport and physical activity. This area of psychology encompasses a vast group of the population and applies to a wide range of interests. Some professionals use it to help elite athletes achieve their maximum performance, others are more interested in physical activity or sports practice of children, elderly people, people with disabilities or, in general, the average participant. Most studies point to two objectives. On the one hand, learn the way in which psychological factors affect the physical performance of individuals. On the other, to understand the way in which participation in sports and physical activity affects development, health and personal well-being.
Sport psychology is applied to a broad population base, either to help elite athletes achieve their maximum performance, work with children, with special populations or with older people. In this subject, they learn strategies to motivate sedentary people to perform physical exercises.
In the degree of Science of Physical Activity and Sport, this subject tries to introduce the student to the understanding of the psychological processes that influence behavior, to the practice of physical or sports activity, as well as knowledge and management of intervention techniques, specific to the Psychology of physical activity and sports.
Course content (verified by ANECA in official undergraduate and Master’s degrees)
General Competences (CG)
- CG1.1 : Capacity to identify, list, analyse, synthesise and apply the conceptual content determined by the subjects studied for the Sciences of Physical Activity and Sport degree.
- CG1.2 : Capacity to manage information and knowledge in new and complex situations, solve problems and take decisions to develop instrumental content and procedures for the subjects in the Sciences of Physical Activity and Sport degree course.
- CG2.1 : Ability for oral and written communication when developing conceptual and procedural content, with special attention to mastering argument and critical reasoning in the subjects in the Sciences of Physical Activity and Sport degree course.
- CG4.2 : Development of responsibility and the capacity for initiative, entrepreneurial spirit and originality in the instrumental learning of the subjects on the Sciences of Physical Activity and Sport degree course.
- CG5.1 : Commitment to the values of equality with regard to questions of gender, diversity and democracy when practising physical activity and sport.
- CG5.2 : Commitment to ethical values in sporting competition.
Specific Competences (CE)
- CE2 : Capacity for managing and applying knowledge of the effects of practising physical exercise on the psychological, social and educational aspects of human beings.
- CE4 : Capacity for managing and applying knowledge of the behavioural, social and educational factors that condition the practice of Physical Activity and Sport.
Learning outcomes (Training objectives)
Specific objectives stated by the academic staff for academic year 2022-23
1. Students will deepen the psychological processes that influence physical activity and sports
2. Students will know group dynamics and methods to improve cohesion and group communication
3. Students will acquire techniques for the training of psychological skills and the improvement of sports performance.
4. Students will learn techniques and psychological strategies of educational and sports coaching
5. Students will design psychological interventions within the educational and sports environment, adapted to different contexts and populations, after analyzing, evaluating and diagnosing the situation.
6. Students will acquire techniques to improve the quality of life and health of athletes and sports entities that require it.
7. Students will be able to work as a team and in collaboration with other professionals linked to the field of Physical Activity and Sports.