Competencies and objectives
- Course context for academic year 2022-23
- Course content (verified by ANECA in official undergraduate and Master’s degrees)
- Learning outcomes (Training objectives)
- Specific objectives stated by the academic staff for academic year 2022-23
Course context for academic year 2022-23
This subject is related to the subjects Programming 1, Programming 2 and Structure of Computers for first year. It is the first course in the sequence of operating systems and it has its continuation in the subjects Management Operating Systems and Computer Networks and Distributed Systems, both in their third year.
The objective of this subject is to provide students with the basic knowledge, both theoretical and empirical, to understand and analyse the major problems that face operating systems and their possible solutions. It also teaches to use critical thinking by building and solving simple computational scenarios.
Course content (verified by ANECA in official undergraduate and Master’s degrees)
Specific Competences (CE)
- CE10 : Understand the characteristics, functionalities and structure of Operating Systems and design and implement applications based on their services.
Learning outcomes (Training objectives)
Specific objectives stated by the academic staff for academic year 2022-23
- Understand the basic problems associated with Operating Systems: multiprocessing, concurrency and resource management.
- Understand the organization, structure and operating systems services.
- Understand the importance of planning, communication and processes synchronization in multiprocessing systems.
- Introduce the problems associated with the management of input / output, file systems and viable solutions.
- Analyse current architecture management and memory management.