Faculties and centres
The course structure of Computers is responsible for studying the structure and architecture of computers. In this way , It can know understand and evaluate both globally and at the level of the basic components that comprise it. This course is part of the knowledge belonging to the branch known as Architecture and Computer Technology , branch among other things explains the operation of computers and computing machines , both in hardware and software.
Structure of Computers has as a prerequisite course Fundamentals of Computers , on the basis of logic and digital electronics design used to use it in the design of structures to understand the nature of each acquired elements of the computer. Is also related to the Schedule 1 subject since it is convenient programming skills to pursue Structure of Computers .
With regard to relations with subsequent subjects, Structure of Computers base on the organization of the computer that will be used in the subjects Architectures Computers and Computer Engineering to deepen more complex issues focusing on improving the functional aspects is acquired and performance of computers.
Finally , Structures of Computers also provides an important knowledge base for electives related to architecture and structure of computers and operating systems.
Specific Competences (CE)
The main objective of the course is to know in detail the operation of computers and each of the structures that constitute them. The specific objectives are specified in the following:
Oriented knowledge acquisition
- Understand the internal organization of a computer, structuring it in its functional units.
- Analyze the functioning of the various functional units of the computer.
- Understanding the need and operation of the control unit and know the advantages and disadvantages of possible design methods.
- Analyze and understand the overall operation of the arithmetic logic unit and the different ways of implementing operators and / or algorithms.
- Present the main characteristics of different storage systems that can be found on the computer and understand the need to establish a hierarchical organization of those.
- Understand the functions performed by the system input / output and how they perform.
- Know design methodologies processors and their functional units.
Aimed at the acquisition of skills
- Develop skills of design and analysis of digital circuits.
- Train in handling tools and simulators to assist in project design, useful for the analysis and evaluation of the quality of achievement.
- Develop skills programming in assembly language.
- Develop skills hardware description.
- Acquire skills in applying theoretical knowledge.
Aimed at promoting attitudes
- Assume schemes theory, abstraction and design as a method to promote the ability to abstract and generalize problems and assimilate the rapid advances in the discipline and put them into context of scientific and technological innovation.
- Develop critical thinking to face both a problem and to evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of a particular design.