Faculties and centres
This subject aims to familiarise students with the main historical periods of the English language, placing a greater emphasis on the medieval period (Old and Middle English). It will overview the main changes from Old English to Modern English on the following linguistic levels: phonology, morphology, syntax, and lexis. After this diachronic survey, the process of standardisation of English will be examined. This module will end with a short introduction to Present-Day English varieties.
1. Describe and explain language change in the history of English
2. Analyse the relationship between the internal and external history of the English language
3. Explain the phonological, morphosyntactic, and lexical characteristics of each period of the English language (Old, Middle, and Modern English)
4. Explore, identify and compare different varieties of English around the world
5. Work with authentic materials (manuscripts, incunabula, etc.) related to the course contents
6. Learn and show a positive attitude towards linguistic and cultural diversity in English