Competencies and objectives
- Course context for academic year 2021-22
- Course content (verified by ANECA in official undergraduate and Master’s degrees)
- Learning outcomes (Training objectives)
- Specific objectives stated by the academic staff for academic year 2021-22
Course context for academic year 2021-22
The study of Physics in a Biology degree is fully justified since physical mechanisms are the underlying processes that govern every phenomena, including biological ones. Moreover, much of the instrumentation used in Biology comes from developments in physics. Therefore, it is of outmost importance that a future biologist acquires a basic understanding in Physics. It is also important for them to realize the role played by physics on biological processes and that understanding complex systems such as life requires of knowledge in many different fields.
On the other hand, problem solving, in this case in Physics, is an important element in any science. It helps develop critical thinking and creative ways of confronting problems, that can be of use for any other subject in their studies and later on, in their professional lives.
Course content (verified by ANECA in official undergraduate and Master’s degrees)
Generic Degree Course Competences
- CG1 : Develop capacity for analysis, synthesis and critical reasoning.
- CG3 : Solve problems effectively.
- CE17 : Understand the principles of thermodynamics and their applications in bioenergetics.
- CE2 : Relate the physical and chemical principles of Biology.
- CE23 : Analyse the components of the physical environment: hydric, atmospheric and terrestrial and their relationship with the biotic environment.
- CE31 : Recognise and implement good scientific practices for measurement and experimentation.
- CE35 : Interpret data gathered from observation and measurement in the laboratory and the field.
- CE36 : Prepare, present and defend scientific and technical reports both in writing and orally to an audience.
- CE37 : Ability to find, analyse, understand and write scientific and technical texts.
Learning outcomes (Training objectives)
Specific objectives stated by the academic staff for academic year 2021-22
The main objective in this class is to provide the students with concepts and technics in physics that are relevant to Biology, and to apply these ideas to different biological phenomena. In this way, the students will understand the importance of physics in many fields of Biology.
Problem solving will be one of the main focus of the class, so the the student will have to think, solve and check the results of a set of problems, which will be useful in all their scientific activities. It is also important that the students learn about how to use different sources of information such as books or journals, both in paper and electronic, and that they learn about scientific instrumentation, as well as writting laboratory reports.