Competencies and objectives
- Course context for academic year 2022-23
- Course content (verified by ANECA in official undergraduate and Master’s degrees)
- Learning outcomes (Training objectives)
- Specific objectives stated by the academic staff for academic year 2022-23
Course context for academic year 2022-23
The course Market Structure aims to deepen the study of the conceptual elements and tools of economic analysis necessary to approach the study of tourism as an economic activity; also stressing the importance of the application of economic concepts to the particularities of the tourism sector. The aim is to bring the student closer to the knowledge of the economic reality of the tourism sector, through the application of economic analysis techniques applied to the study of the structure of the tourism market, its evolution, the variables that determine it and the economic processes that operate in it, from institutional and business aspects to the interrelation between tourism with the rest of the economic sectors or with the physical environment in which it operates, so that the future professional is able to interpret the economic events of their environment and make reasoned and well-founded decisions.
Course content (verified by ANECA in official undergraduate and Master’s degrees)
General Competences acquired at University of Alicante (CGUA)
- CGUA2 : Be able to use basic ICT tools at user level.
- CGUA3 : Oral and written communication skills: Be able to express oneself correctly in one of the two official languages of the Region of Valencia in one's discipline.
Specific Competences (CE)
- CE1 : Understand the principles of tourism: its spatial, social, cultural, legal, political, labour and economic dimension.
- CE2 : Analyse the economic dimension of tourism.
- CE23 : Analyse the impacts generated by tourism.
- CE24 : Analyse and use information and communication technologies (ICT) in the different fields of the tourist sector.
- CE3 : Understand the dynamic and evolutionary nature of tourism in the new leisure society.
- CE4 : Understand the main political-administrative structures of tourism.
- CE5 : Convert and empirical problem into an object of research and draw conclusions.
- CE7 : Recognise the main tourist agents.
- CE8 : Evaluate tourist potential and the prospective analysis of exploiting it.
Learning outcomes (Training objectives)
Specific objectives stated by the academic staff for academic year 2022-23
a) Search, collect, handle and draw conclusions from economic information for the analysis of the sector (SC5).
b) Assess the economic dimension of tourism at different scales and analyse the interrelation between them (SC2 and SC3).
c) Manage the variables that determine the supply of tourist services and the organisation of tourist markets (SC2).
d) Identify the demand of the tourist markets, its evolution and main economic characteristics (SC2)
e) Analyse tourism markets and the changes produced by variations in the variables that affect their demand and/or supply. (CE2 and CE3)
f) Analyse the main variables that affect the competitiveness of tourist destinations and the role played by the public sector and investments in tourism (SC2 and SC8).
g) Value the economic development potential of tourism growth and be able to relate economic development and sustainability (SC2, SC8)
h) Identify the structure of the Spanish tourism market, its challenges, challenges and opportunities and the role it plays in the national economic structure (SC23).
i) Skilfully use ICT to find information about the tourism sector (CE24 and CGUA2)
j) Express reasoned opinions, present ideas, reach consensus and debate. (CGUA3)