Competencies and objectives
- Course context for academic year 2014-15
- Course content (verified by ANECA in official undergraduate and Master’s degrees)
- Learning outcomes (Training objectives)
- Specific objectives stated by the academic staff for academic year 2014-15
Course context for academic year 2014-15
The course is part of the core subjects of the Degree in Architectural Technology, is taught in the second semester of the first year and is offered as an introduction to the knowledge of building materials. The course is divided into four blocks:
.) First one is dedicated to the types, properties and testing of building materials.
.) In the second one, chemical materials of inorganic origin and characteristics of organic materials are both studied.
.) In the third block, geological aspects related to the materials are explained.
.) Finally, we have reserved a fourth block to assess the impact generated in the manufacturing processes of building materials.
Course content (verified by ANECA in official undergraduate and Master’s degrees)
General Competences (CG)
- G4 : Understand the chemical characteristics of the materials used in building, their elaboration processes, the methodology of tests to determine their characteristics, their geological origin and environmental impact, recycling and waste management.
General Transversal Competences
- G12 : Computer and information skills.
- G13 : Oral and written communication skills.
Learning outcomes (Training objectives)
Specific objectives stated by the academic staff for academic year 2014-15
Knowing the types and properties of building materials to choose them properly according to their aesthetic characteristics and durability.
Knowing the protocols used to characterise and control the quality of construction materials.
Knowing the basic chemical characteristics related to inorganic construction materials (stone materials, ceramics, glass, binders, conglomerates, metals, ...).
Knowing the basic chemical characteristics related to organic construction materials (plastics, bituminous materials, paints, wood, ...).
Knowing the different types of rocks, properties and applications. Knowing some basic aspects of geotechnical behavior of soils.
Knowing the environmental impact at different stages of the life cycle of building materials.