Faculties and centres
"Structures 3" is a compulsory subject from the 8th semester of the Undergraduate Degree in Fundamentals of Arquitecture at Polytechnic School of University of Alicante. It is advisable that the students have acquired the competences of the previous semesters’ subjects, and especially those related to the subjects “Applied Physics 1”, “Introduction to Technology”, “Building Materials for Construction Systems”, “Structures 1” and “Structures 2”. Particularly, the students should be proficient enough with the following competences:
- Knowledge related to the nature, generic characteristics and applications of cements, mortars, concretes and metals.
- Comprehension of problems related to the structural conception, construction and engineering of building projects.
- Analysis of geometric parameters of cross sections with moderate complexity: baricentres, first and second moments of inertia.
- Analysis of statically determinate structures: simply supported beams, cantilevers and trusses.
- Analysis of statically indeterminate structures: determination of stresses.
- Use of software for structural analysis, as well as programming with datasheets (e.g. Excel or similar).
General Competences (CG)
Basic Competences and Competences included under the Spanish Qualifications Framework for Higher Education (MECES)
Inherent transversal competences:>>Cognitive Instrumental
UA Basic Transversal Competences
Inherent transversal competences:>>Methodological Instrumental
Inherent transversal competences:>>Technological Instrumental
Inherent transversal Competences:>>Entrepreneurship Capability System
Inherent transversal Competences:>>Leadership System
Inherent transversal Competences:>>Achievement System
Specific Competences:>> Technical Block
- Applied knowledge of the technological properties and behaviour models of concrete and steel rebars, both individually and globally, for resisting mechanical and chemical actions.
- Applied knowledge of the different types of structural analysis considered by the Spanish and European standards for the design and construction of reinforced and prestressed concrete structures, as well as foundation elements and retaining walls.
- Competence for conceiving, projecting, designing, building and maintaining concrete structures of moderate complexity, including the definition of their elements, materials and construction conditions.
- Competence for understanding the soil-structure interaction and for conceiving, projecting, designing, building and maintaining foundation and retaining structures of moderate complexity, including the definition of their elements, materials and construction conditions.
- To be aware of the implications that the nature and strength performance limitations of reinforced concrete have in order to deal with the conception, project and construction work management of building structures.
- Competence for applying correctly and coherently the acquired knowledge related to the project of conventional and specific reinforced concrete structures, as part of small work teams.