Faculties and centres
History of the English language from its origins to modern times. Language change. Old English (OE), Middle English (ME), Modern English (ModE) and Contemporary English (ContE): Phonology, Morphology, Syntax, Semantics. Varieties of English around the world: English in England, Scotland , Ireland , Wales, USA , Canada , Australia and New Zealand , Rep South Africa, India. English Pidgins and Creoles.
1. Describe and explain language 'change' in the history of English.
2. Analyze the relationship between internal and external history of the English language and the linguistic consequences.
3. Explain the phonological, morphosyntactic and lexical features representing each period of the English language (Old, Middle, Modern and Contemporary)
4. Explore, identify and compare different varieties of English around the world
5. Work with authentic materials (videos, recordings, websites, etc.) related with the course content
6. Learn and show a positive attitude towards linguistic and cultural diversity in English.