Faculties and centres
Advanced Microbiology is a complement to the general Microbiology course (taught in THE 2nd year in the Biology degree) and offers a deeper insight into Environmental and Molecular and Food Microbiology.
Specific Competences:>> Ability
• To ascertain the role of microbes and microbial metabolism in sustaining the biosphere and the biogeochemical cycles and to analyze the microbial diversity harbored in aquatic and terrestrial environments.
• To know and apply the molecular and culture dependent techniques used to study microbes in their natural environments
• To understand the molecular bases of viruses and their interactions with their hosts
• To know genomic and metagenomic analysis techniques and their application to the study of the evolution of microbes.
• To work safely with microbes, reagents, and instruments commonly used in food microbiology and molecular microbial ecology.
• To plan, design, carry out, and analyze the results of experiments in Microbiology