Faculties and centres
Welcome to Public Economics. This is a course on the basics of the economics of public intervention. Depending on the time we will cover the topics of Taxation, Social Insurance, Public Goods, Social Security and Education.
General Competences (CG)
Specific Competences (CE)
Public Economics analyzes the role of government in the economy. The purpose of the course is to understand the reasons for government intervention in the economy, analyzing the effects of different interventions, and the response of economic agents to such interventions. Among other things, we study the tax policy, public insurance programs, public goods, policies of environmental protection and relations between different levels of government. We put a lot of emphasis on issues such as pension reform, funding for public universities and health reforms.
Among the educational objectives we can include:
- Use analytical reasoning to raise economic problems and resolve them.
- Public intervention to achieve efficiency and equity Understand what circumstances is necessary.
- Analyze public intervention in health and education.
- Understand the basic mechanisms of social security, both in terms of the pension system and the unemployment insurance policies and income redistribution.
- Understand the meaning of the incidence of taxes.