Faculties and centres
The subject should be considered as a complement as well as a continuation of General Sociology subject, devoted to understand social process of social deviance.
The word deviance means odd or unacceptable behavior, but in the sociological sense of the word, deviance is simply any violation of society’s norms. Deviance can range from something minor, such as a traffic violation, to something major, such as murder.Each society defines what is deviant and what is not, and definitions of deviance differ widely between societies. The role played by this subject is to see the other face of the reality by analyzing and finding out the causes of crime.
Specific Disciplinary Training Competences (Theoretical)
Specific Disciplinary Training Competences (Practical)
The main goal of the subject is providing to the students the conceptual and methodological tools they need to make a sociological analysis of the processes of deviance and social control.
The particular goals are:
• To know concepts as social groups, structure and social change, as well as knowing the main theories and deviance models, deviance behavior and causes of crime.
• Knowledge and implementation of the sociological methodology in researching crime.
• To distinguish, from the classical authors to the most modern theories, the different theories in Deviance Sociology.
• To analyze the influence of social factors in crime phenomenon.
• To understand the role played by social control institutions in modern societies.